Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Above and below the water

The running commuter guy looks so effortless while running. I romanticize about that feeling of floating along effortlessly and remembered a time when I looked much more like the commuter man than I do now being that at that time I ran and cycled often. I imagine some people may have even thought that I looked effortless as I ran by them or road by them at that time. The reality is that I never did feel like I was effortlessly floating along even at the most fit points of my life. It was often fun to run and ride but it was always hard. The effortless floating along of an athlete is an illusion based on your perspective. It is a romantic dream created by a less fit person like myself observing a more fit person. Greg Lemond once said something like, "It never gets easier. You just get faster." This is important for me to remember when feeling less than floaty.

2 comments:

Vick said...

LOVE THIS PHOTO, JARED. DID YOU TAKE IT?
ALSO THE FLOATING COMMENT--SO RIGHT ON.
THE SAME IS TRUE OF WRITING. I LOVE TO READ WHAT PEOPLE SAY ABOUT WRITING AND I LOVE TO READ PERIOD.
WRITING IS SOMETHING ELSE...WHEN YOU'RE DOING IT, IT ALL SEEMS SO PROSAIC. WE DON'T SEE THE CIRCLE OR THE REFLECTION OR THE RIVER...AS SEEN IN THIS PHOTO.

Jared said...

No I didn't take the pic unless you mean did I take it from some other chump on the internet. Then the answer would be yes. Heath says he has seen this type of bridge in Asia I am not sure where this one is at.